Sunday, January 2, 2011
3/4 cup barley flour *modified from 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup quinoa flour *modified from 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut oil *modified from 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup light molasses
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup original almond milk *modified from 1/4 cup soy milk
2 tbsp soy yogurt
1 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger cinnamon, cloves, and salt into a bowl and mix.
- Whisk the oil, molasses, maple syrup, almond milk, yogurt and lemon zest into a separate large bowl. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix just until smooth. Fold in chopped crystallized ginger. Use hand mixer to blend until smooth if needed.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full. Bake for 19 - 22 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- Makes 12 cupcakes.
1/4 cup earth balance margarine, softened
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice *modified - I added this to the recipe
3 - 4 drops yellow food coloring *modified - I added this to the recipe
- Cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined. Use a handheld mixer to whip while adding the confectioners sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and food coloring.
1 cup quinoa flour
1 cup barley flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tbsp whole flax seeds
1/2 cup coconut oil
2/3 cup agave nectar
2/3 cup original almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 - 4 large bananas, peeled and mashed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare cupcake papers in a muffin tin. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Add the oil, agave nectar, almond milk and vanilla. Stir until batter is smooth. Gently fold in the mashed bananas and flax seeds until smooth.
Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 20-25 min.
Allow to cool before removing from pans.
*Recipe modified from here.