These were probably the most delicious cupcakes I have ever made. I use the book "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World" frequently, but this is the first time I have used this recipe. My family/friends always enjoy my cupcakes, but these ones they couldn't get enough of!
3/4 cup barley flour *modified from 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup quinoa flour *modified from 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup coconut oil *modified from 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup light molasses
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup original almond milk *modified from 1/4 cup soy milk
2 tbsp soy yogurt
1 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/4 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger cinnamon, cloves, and salt into a bowl and mix.
- Whisk the oil, molasses, maple syrup, almond milk, yogurt and lemon zest into a separate large bowl. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix just until smooth. Fold in chopped crystallized ginger. Use hand mixer to blend until smooth if needed.
- Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full. Bake for 19 - 22 minutes, until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- Makes 12 cupcakes.
1/4 cup earth balance margarine, softened
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp finely grated lemon zest
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice *modified - I added this to the recipe
3 - 4 drops yellow food coloring *modified - I added this to the recipe
- Cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined. Use a handheld mixer to whip while adding the confectioners sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice and food coloring.